Tash has been a superstar at Ignition and taken us on a magnificent journey. We wish them all the best for the future and hope we can remain a much frequented local!
Please find below the job description for our head brewer and share with anyone who may be interested.
Ignition Brewery and Taproom is a growing social enterprise based in Sydenham, Lewisham. We have a 2.5bbl brewery and taproom on the Sydenham High Street open Thursday-Sunday. Ignition brews great beer which provides meaningful employment opportunities for adults with learning disabilities. We brew a core range of three beers with seasonal releases and collaborations in addition. We are currently brewing one-two times a week, with the capacity and expectation to increase this as the business grows. Beer is currently bottled and kegged, with bottles available for off-sales and kegs exclusively supplying the taproom (5m away). Our beers are popular and we have plans to grow.
Please have a look at our website www.ignition.beer to find out more about us.
In addition to the standard job duties listed below the role entails working closely with our team of staff with differing needs and abilities. We have a mix of team members who have been with the brewery for several years and newer staff who need more training. This role requires someone empathetic and patient, who is excited to aid in the personal growth and learning journey of our team. We are looking for a self-starter who wants to be involved in the growth of this fast moving small business with significant plans for growth in the coming year including national distribution, more venues and eventually a new headquarters with a large onsite brewery.
This is currently a part time role, three days a week.
We are a diverse team here, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Full responsibility for high quality consistent production of beer to keep a fully stocked taproom and bottled supply, specifically:
- Create and maintain recipes
- Supervise wort production
- CIP cleaning and general cleaning
- Cellaring (dry hopping, daily checks etc)
- Packaging (currently bottle and ecofass keg)
- Stock take and control
- Ordering (malt, yeast, hops, chemicals, bottles, kegs and equipment etc)
- Managing duty payments
- Maintain paperwork of brew days, orders and invoices
- Maintenance of kit (deep cleaning, replacing soft parts etc)
- Supervising staff and assigning tasks
- Training new staff in safe and sanitary brewing and packaging methods
- Supervising existing staff in learning and personal development
- Liaising with senior management RE: collaborations, events, festivals and stragetic planning.
- Liaise with bar manager and staff RE: stock, recipes and tasting notes
- Representing the brewery at community and industry events
- Some evening and weekend work will be occasionally required
Essential experience and skills:
- At least 1 year experience in a commercial brewing environment
- Highly organised and independent approach
- Passion for producing quality beer
- Hard working team player
- The right to work in the UK
Good to have:
- A brewing qualification
- Experience working with adults with disabilities
- Experience in a teaching or training capacity
- Management experience
A FTE salary of £26,000-£29,400 pro-rata for three days, to be negotiated depending on experience.
To apply please send us a short introduction together with your CV and we shall hope to speak with you as soon as possible. Applications are welcomed immediately; the role is available to start as soon as the right candidate is found and we are able to offer a handover period/induction with our current Head Brewer.